sexing myths...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Oct 16, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can someone please let me know some of the myths that are out there on telling the gender of young chicks and how they are supposed to work. also if you have tried the method a min of 5 times on at least up to 10 chicks (50 chicks total) please let me know how the chicks turned out. this info will also be put on the central louisiana poultry club facebook page.

here are some the notes i have on facebook right now: https://www.facebook.com/CentralLouisianaPoultryClub?sk=notes

however if you don't have a facebook to sign onto you will not be able to see each and every note

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    One myth I've heard is that if you pick a chick up by the neck a male will squirm and a female won't, Naturally this doesn't work.

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I have heard that a pointy egg is a girl and rounded egg is a boy.

4. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Wing feather-sexing does not hold true for many breeds that are fast feathering.

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    with this one i hear they have to be fairly young like 1-5 days old and i have read this does work fairly well i have never tried for fear of hurting the chick

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i have yet to come across a fast feathering breed and this is a lot more complicated than it sounds lol

7. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Someone here told me that if you hold a young chick on it's back that girls will tuck their legs up and boys will stick them out straight. It worked on our first 10 chicks, but we also has 2 chicks that had one leg out and one leg tucked. They both turned out to be girls.

Of our current 7 chicks - two did stick their legs out and I do happen to have two boys...but I have no idea if they were the same two chicks...

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I've heard if you throw a paper airplane over a group of chicks, the females will duck down, and the males will stand up straight.

9. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I once heard that if it lays eggs it's a girl, if it doesn't then it's a boy, but that can't be true. Could it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by