1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Narragansett poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JimnTer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. JimnTer

JimnTer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Is it possible to sex young Narragansett poults (day old to 2 weeks)? If so can you explain how to tell them apart? Thanks in advance.

Jim

2. forestbrat

forestbrat New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    I see your post is about a year old, did you ever get an answer? Mine were born on the 4th of this month.

3. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I'd like to know the answer to this one myself. [​IMG]

4. Cole D

Cole D Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    I don't think so. If there is a way I don't know of it.

5. aztuffenuff

aztuffenuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Tombstone,Arizona
    As far as I know there is one way and that is to vent sex them. It is risky and you have to know what you are doing or you can hurt or even kill the bird. You have to put some thing up there hole and look to see what is up there...you can find how to do that online but as I said VERY risky and you have to really know what you are doing!!!

6. aztuffenuff

Sep 21, 2012
    Tombstone,Arizona
    As far as I know there is one way and that is to vent sex them. It is risky and you have to know what you are doing or you can hurt or even kill the bird. You have to put some thing up there hole and look to see what is up there...you can find how to do that online but as I said VERY risky and you have to really know what you are doing!!!

7. Cole D

Cole D Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Whoops, forgot about vent sexing. Isnt vent sexing where you squeeze the vent and see what comes out instead of looking to see what is in the vent.

8. aztuffenuff

Sep 21, 2012
    Tombstone,Arizona
    no you put a kind of tube up their opening and look to see the sex it's risky and you can hurt the birds very easily so you must know what you are doing I am too afraid I will hurt my birds so I don't

9. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    In vent-sexing ANY other critters, you only need to gently squeeze open the cloaca, NOT shove something up there - where you got the idea it requires that in turkey poults I have NO idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by