sexing Narragansetts

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fiberdrunk, Jun 26, 2011.

1. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I have a pair of 11-week old Narragansetts. At what age will I know if they are male or female? I haven't heard any gobbling yet. Can I assume they're both females? Here's a photo of them. Don't know if it's possible to tell what they are from a photo or not.

[​IMG]

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Well if they are 11 week old then you should be able to identify them.

If y ou havent heard any gobbling or havent seen any strutting then they are females.

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    They both look like females to me. No caruncles, small snoods, skinny legs.

Are your tails really as gray as the picture shows. Mine have brown tails and orangish tail coverts.

4. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I have bourbon reds that are 7 weeks old and I've been able to tell the male from the 2 girls for weeks. He struts all the time, is overall a little bigger and has lost the feathers from his head faster than the others, as well as having a "redder" head. I would say if you don't see a difference between them or any obvious male signs from either, they've got to be female!

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    very pretty girls!

6. fiberdrunk

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:Yes, they're gray and black and white. No brown or orange on them.

Thanks for everyone's help!

7. Lagerdogger

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I'm surprised how ash gray they are. The photo almost looks black and white. I wonder if they have an extra gray gene that is diluting their color.

For comparison, here is one of my nine week old Narragansetts. The tops of the main tail feathers are dark brown, and the tail coverts are pale orange (sometimes almost pink) with dark lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    When should you start being able to sex them?
    (Mine are 4 weeks now)

9. Lagerdogger

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Quote:You can get some right at 6 weeks or so but I think it takes 10-12 weeks to be pretty sure about most of them. Sometimes it takes longer. I have a Royal Palm this year that I thought was a tom at 6 weeks, then I thought it was a hen at 8 weeks, and now at 9 weeks I'm leaning back towards tom. Last year I was sure I had three bourbon red toms at 8 weeks, but by 12 weeks I figures out that one was a hen. A couple weeks later I decided I had two hens. I try to be patient and not guess, but it is fun to try.

10. fiberdrunk

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:Very pretty! Mine don't have any brown like that at all. I joke I'm going to name mine Mono and Chrome. I didn't even know they were different from other Narragansetts. These are my first turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by