Sexing of chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New2chickensnky, Nov 16, 2008.

1. New2chickensnky

New2chickensnky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    I have heard that you can tell the sex of the chiks by their rear ends. Is this true? If so , when we looked at them tonight there was some with like a squinted bum , and some with a round bum. Can anyone tell me if this means anything , or how to tell them apart when they are about 2 weeks old.. Thanks..

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nope. The trained eye can vent sex them, but that involves squishing the organs out of the chick at a day old to see what it looks like inside.

At 2 weeks, you'll have to wait till they show secondary sex characteristics.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    What you are thinking of is Vent Sexing. This can only be done when the chicks are day olds. This sexing method takes years to master and should not be done by people who have not learned the proper way to do it. I don't know how to tell the sex from this method, but since yours are 2 weeks old, it's a little too late...

4. New2chickensnky

New2chickensnky Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Thanks. We did not squish anything , we were actually cleaning the stuck droopings off them when we just decided to look to see if there was any difference in it. Some older man told us that the males would have a bump (manly hood) above their bum , and the hens would not so we wanted to see if there was any truth to this. I remember watching them vent them on Dirty Jobs one time and there is no way in the world I would try to squeeze them to tell. I would be too scarred I would hurt them .Thanks for the reply's.. [​IMG]

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Even at the hatchery that is fairly close by they only run about 70% in being correct. Well named hatchery. I give them lots of business because they allow me to pick up my needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by