Sexing Orp/Brahmas PICS added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seminolewind, Dec 6, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine are 2 weeks old now and 2 look like their combs are turning pink. The others are still yellowish. What do you think?

Better pictures under the post "more sexing Brahma/Orps. Go there, thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Can you post pics? Are these cyns? I could sex mine around 3-4 weeks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:How did you sex them at 3-4 weeks? What do I look for? Yes, they are Cyn's eggs.

4. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Bright red combs [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Also, the ones with gold in their feathers are usually the boys and the ones without are the girls. The reason is that the males take after their mom (Buff Brahma) and get gold/red/brown in their feathers. herechickchick got several girls and they have the round Orpington body and the boys got the gold. countrygirlcleelum got boys with gold and a girl without. I bet for the most part, that will work as their feathers come in.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I notice that one Orp/Brahma has a comb that is changing to pink. "He" also has leg feathering. Wouldn't that be like the mom?

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The feathering can go either way, I think. Adam's chick that has leg feathering, we've determined is a girl. It isn't a perfect thing right down the line. The color, the buff/gold, would be the main thing to look for on those, from what I've seen of them. Just got a pic of the one that ZuniBee thinks is a cockerel. Already very pink wattles and comb plus lots of gold on him.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I ended up with three roos and one hen from Cyns eggs. Her comb is not pink at all, but the roos started turning pink about three weeks old.

9. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Here is my hen and roo at a few weeks old. The one with the gold is the roo. You cant really see in the pic that well that his comb is turning pink.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks for the pic, its a beautiful chic, looks just like 5 of mine!
    I haven't seen any gold yet, I will have to go look........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by