1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

sexing orps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I have three black orps, one splash & one blue. I’m fairly sure the splash is a pullet & the blue is a cockerel. However, I’m having trouble with the three black ones…although I’m leaning towards one black cockerel & two black pullets…

Here are some pics—sorry that they aren’t the best, but it’s nearly impossible to photograph chickens on my own!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that said & supposing I’m correct with my gender guesses…

If you could only keep three—which roo would you keep? The blue or the black? I am thinking keeping the blue roo, a black pullet & a splash pullet & then selling a pair of black orps…I already have a buyer if I have a pair...

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    How old are they, because I'm only seeing pullets... ?

3. They were hatched in June? Maybe?

4. Geez, don't tell me that! Besides my sumatras, which I still can't sex....I've had super-heavy roos this year with my hatchings...and that would be my luck--FIVE PULLETS! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: