Sexing - Our brood (SL Wyandotte & 2 Australorps)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewAussieChook, Mar 6, 2014.

1. NewAussieChook

NewAussieChook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi all!

I'm new to chickens, so new to sexing too. Just want to run my three past the expert eyes here. We're planning to visit the farm on Monday to swap our Wyandotte. I can't get the photo to turn - eeeep! So I apologise for the sore crooked necks!

Our SL Wyandotte has turned out a roo - do you agree? He's about 18 - 20 weeks old. No crowing of anything close yet. Still a very beautiful chicken - friendly, happy to have a cuddle with our 2 year old. Very caring towards the other two.

[​IMG]

And here's our 2 Australorps - they are about 14 - 16 weeks now. They are hens, yes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Profile shots are best for sexing, but I do believe you're correct--the slw is male, the blacks are female.

The one bird isn't pure Australorp, she's crossed with something to give her those white/silver feathers on the neck/chest.

3. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks Rachel. I was suspecting the cross-breed, thank you for confirming that for me. She was sold a pure- Australorp, so we'll have a word to the guy who sold her too us.

The other Australorp has red-ish/brown-ish flecks across her front.

Chickens are SO hard to photograph! Will keep in mind for profile next time - thank you!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Then she's not pure either [​IMG]

Thing is, for most backyard folks, it really doesn't matter. We're not showing, or breeding to a breed standard, we just want hens that are basically a specific color and lay lots of eggs. Those ladies will probably fit the bill for you nicely.

5. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks so much, that's really helpful. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by