1. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    How do you tell the difference between males and females? What is an accurate method?

2. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
  3. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    hi, i raise english keets and the way you tell is like the other person said, the cere(where the nose hole is on the beak) in pastel colors, the males will be a pinkish purple, solid colored, the hens, they will have a white ring around the nose hole, the normal colors are much easier to tell, the male, solid blue and darker than a hens would be, but again with the white ring. if the birds are at least six months old, male blue or dark pinkish purple(pastels) , hens will start turning a dark brown, showing they're coming into breeding condition, but with english you don't breed the hens til they're at least a year old, a cock bird you can breed around 8 0r 9 months old, this gives the bird a chance to grow up and get big. english are larger birds than the american budgie. hope this helps, if not email and i will try to explain agin, since i've raised keets for over 30 years, sometimes i get ahead of myself lol.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I think I definetely got a male! haha [​IMG]

5. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    good!!! males are easier to tame and once tame can learn to talk up a storm.
    sharron:celebrate

6. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    well he is not nice at all! if you read my other thread about the killer parakeet named pete that's the same one!

7. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    oh my, never had a keet that did that, usually if they are really nasty, its the hen, never a male, males are usually laid back and easy going.
    BUT he might still make a good pet if you can calm him down.
    sharron

8. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    it is very strange!

9. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    hope you can tame him down, like i said, might make a wonderful pet, my snowman is a wonderful bird and talks up a storm, his favorite saying, gonna get your toes.
    sharron:ya

10. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    hahahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by