1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Jim Eggers, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Jim Eggers

Jim Eggers New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    I have 2 peafowl I know the first one we got is a female because she laid eggs last spring (we have had her 3 years. The second one will be 2 this spring. We figured the second one was a male because he recently started fanning his tail backing toward the hen and shaking his tail at her. This morning we saw the hen do the exact same thing. Now we don't know if we have a pair or 2 females that like each other way too much. I was told the feathers are "scaley" looking on a male. The peafowl in question is white so that doesn't work. Is there any way to tell a male from a female.

2. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Hens and roosters both will fan/show off, if possible post pics of the birds in question and try to get a view of the shoulders and we can help you better. Hope this helps.

Gerald Barker

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Whites are easily sexed from six months on. The two best ways are to look for a vertical ridge of feathers along the sides of the neck and from the back when displaying. When displaying the tail feathers supporting the train feathers will either be in the shape of a spade or be arranged in a round shape. Here is a pic of a SP hen with the ridge of overlapping feathers on the neck. All hens will have this ridge, it is not only on Whites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KsKingBee

Here is a pic of the back of the train. The supporting tail feathers are arranged like a spade or point.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Very good pics for comparison and totally right on point again. [​IMG]. Gerald Barker

1 person likes this.
  6. KsKingBee

Thank you Gerald. (My ovation button isn't working...)

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Can you please post pictures of your peafowl? This will helps us the best. I can try to help further. I have up close pictures on white peafowl neck feathers but I'm at school right now so can't do much since I don't have the pictures. The others have given you great advice so far.

8. Jim Eggers

Jim Eggers New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    it is storming here today, I will try to get a picture tomorrow. The one we are hoping is a male does not have a dark ring around his neck like the hen in the picture, but I don't think that's what you mean about overlapping feathers.

9. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    The hen in KsKingBee photo is a Silver Pied hen. They will have color compared to a White peafowl. I do have a photo of my pair side by side though. Hope it somewhat helps.
    [​IMG] Male is on the right, hen is on the left.

10. KsKingBee

Yeah, the color doesn't matter, hens have the vertical overlapping feathers on their necks and the shape of the support feathers are the same sign no matter the color of the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by