1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing peeps by rate of tail feather growth

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dekel18042, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have a clutch of 12 day old peeps. Some still have their downy rumps while others have grown a cute little tail, very visible.
    Is this just a variable in the individual chicks feathering rate or can it be a clue as to which sex each is?
    (I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. Who has thicker legs? Longer legs....bigger combs... redder combs? Any clues?)

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I know there are ways to estimate, but my dad always tells me... "You never know for certain until it crows or lays an egg" Hehe For us, the Cornish were easier to sex than anything else we've had. The roos had huge legs and feathered out a week faster, we split them just for fun to see how correct we were, and we only were wrong on two out of 25. Not in any way exact or scientific, I know, but it worked for us.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Cute little tails typically mean 'boy' - although I've seen a few late bloomers who got their tails with the hens.

Some can tell with wing feathers also. But I generally don't see that as easily (darn bifocals!) as the tail. Dominant hens can get tails shortly after boys (like a day); while late blooming boys can get tails with the girls - but then they get longer, and fuller, and bigger - and by 14wks or so it's pretty obvious who's who!

Good luck with your chicks!

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I keep going in circles. I can divide them into three groups according to their tails. Some are fully tailed, a few have smaller tails and some are tailless.
    To make it all the more confusing, their paternal grandmother was an aracauna so I'm wondering if that could affect the tail feathering genetics? They have several different mothers.
    When I try to figure out the sex, none of the parts agree
    1. heavier and longer legs
    2. larger overall
    3. comb size and color
    4. tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by