1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Pekin/Mallard mix

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Redheadsrfun, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Redheadsrfun

Redheadsrfun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I have two six-week-old Pekin/Mallards, the larger and squeakier one I have always assumed to be male and the smaller mostly black with quacker to be female. Over the last week the assumed female's head has begun to turn green as has the small patch of black on the male's head. I'm waiting for the drake feathers to show up but until then, what do y'all think? Trying to upload a pic so you can see their bills as well but with the new iPhone update it won't allow me? His bill is orange and her's is black. AND she's SUPER quacky!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Quacky sounds female to me. I will say that Vier - a female - developed a drake feather after we adopted our first drake.

3. tomynoks

tomynoks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    WA state USA
    Did you get any pics?? Quacky def sounds female to me too but in my limited experience, already nothing would be too surprising!!

4. Redheadsrfun

Aug 20, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    A few weeks late but I'm 99% sure she's s girl and he's s boy! Lol! Her quacks are quacky and his are low and rattled. Sweet babies!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any pics of these sweet babies.. and Congrats on having a pair.

6. Redheadsrfun

Aug 20, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I have been unable to upload any pics since the last iPhone update! Will submit another help request. Took some gorgeous pics of them just a couple of days ago!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look forward to seeing them.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by