Sexing Pekins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xxSonja, Dec 7, 2009.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Ok i keep finding conflicting info about the difference between male and female Pekin ducks.
    So would anybody mind helping me out a little?
    I have three pekins, approx 3months old. I was told they were most likely all females buy the breeder, but im not 100% convinced

I know girls are louder than boys, so i figure i definitely have atleast one female from the huge Whak-whak-whak im greeted with of a morning.

None of them have drake feathers, but im not sure if they are old enough for that yet?

True or false?
    Males have small black feather on their back underneath their wings?
    Males will have chunkier legs than females?
    Females have shorter beaks/bills?

Any help or insight would be so appreciated!

[​IMG]
    from left to right: The 1st duck has 2 black dots (one on each side of its butt),
    The 2nd duck has one black dot on its butt & one tiny black dot on its head,
    & the 3rd duck is the smallest of them and is the noisy one.

[​IMG]
    Again in same order: 2 butt dots (Scuba), 1 butt & 1 head dot (Mranson) , & lil noisey No dots (Sheldon)

(edited to add pics)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    have they always had those spots? I have 6 pekins, 5 1/2 weeks...they have most of their feathers now but none are black...maybe mine are too little?

3. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Yup, even when they were lil balls of yellow fluff, they still had those dots...

4. pishposh

pishposh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    westminster, md
    I don't think Pekins are supposed to have any spots. I think they look like girls though, our drake feathers came in around 6-8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by