Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Okay, so I was wondering if there is any other way to sex a pekin besides their voice.

My half grown pekin is confusing me, sometimes it sounds like its quacking other times its this weird raspy sound others times it just peeps like a duckling...I'm so confused

buckboy101

Chirping
8 Years
May 26, 2011
The only thing i can think of would be to look online and find an experienced person with that. I hope you find out

DuckyMom

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Upstate NY
How old is it? It sounds to me like a female! Her voice is just changing. I cant quite tell without hearing it, but thats my best guess.

Emily

Sumatra55

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Yes you can vent sex them, Males have a curled penis and is fairly evident but I would recommend finding a waterfowl breeder to show you how so that you dont hurt them.

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
If it's voice is raspy, then it's a male. I can see it isn't too old, so give it a few months, and check if it has a male curl feather. (It will be located over the tail. Females don't have one.) It would be hard to vent sex at this age...

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Thanks,

Sometimes its raspy sometimes its not....I'm thinking maybe it is a female...its just a little confusing at this age.

I'm really hoping its a female

SaraFL

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused. I have 5 ducks (3 pekins, 2 khakis) and the sounds from them go from raspy to quacky to squeaky. I wish they'd make up their minds.

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
my duckies are 7 wks about. my pekin I'm sure is a female. she yells. bad. quacks. Even though sometimes she has that raspy creepy peep thing still, she's a loud quack.
The runner, I'm still calling to young to decide, but if I had to would say a he. raspy always, mostly peeps, never has quacked yet, but won't call it till he's a bit older.

Strawberryswyrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
It's a boy!!!!!!!! Your male will have a very hollow, raspy quack until about 3 months old. Then he'll get his drake vocals and will have a deep, low-pitched "quack." The week before mine got his he sounded like a little dinosaur running around. His new name is "Raptor" lol

Top Bottom