Sexing Pekins?

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Okay, so I was wondering if there is any other way to sex a pekin besides their voice.

My half grown pekin is confusing me, sometimes it sounds like its quacking other times its this weird raspy sound others times it just peeps like a duckling...I'm so confused
hu.gif

87211_dscn4341.jpg

The only thing i can think of would be to look online and find an experienced person with that. I hope you find out

How old is it? It sounds to me like a female! Her voice is just changing. I cant quite tell without hearing it, but thats my best guess.

Emily

Yes you can vent sex them, Males have a curled penis and is fairly evident but I would recommend finding a waterfowl breeder to show you how so that you dont hurt them.

If it's voice is raspy, then it's a male. I can see it isn't too old, so give it a few months, and check if it has a male curl feather. (It will be located over the tail. Females don't have one.) It would be hard to vent sex at this age...

Thanks,

Sometimes its raspy sometimes its not....I'm thinking maybe it is a female...its just a little confusing at this age.

I'm really hoping its a female
fl.gif

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one confused. I have 5 ducks (3 pekins, 2 khakis) and the sounds from them go from raspy to quacky to squeaky. I wish they'd make up their minds.

my duckies are 7 wks about. my pekin I'm sure is a female. she yells. bad. quacks. Even though sometimes she has that raspy creepy peep thing still, she's a loud quack.
The runner, I'm still calling to young to decide, but if I had to would say a he. raspy always, mostly peeps, never has quacked yet, but won't call it till he's a bit older.

It's a boy!!!!!!!! Your male will have a very hollow, raspy quack until about 3 months old. Then he'll get his drake vocals and will have a deep, low-pitched "quack." The week before mine got his he sounded like a little dinosaur running around. His new name is "Raptor" lol

Back
Top Bottom