sexing pheasant chicks???

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by fdnick, Sep 8, 2007.

1. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    bought 9 golden pheasant chicks they are all about 8 weeks old, any way to tell if they are male or female??
    Thanks...
    Denna

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The males will have a light colored eye, while the females will have a dark eye..

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Hi Pine Grove,
    How about ringneck pheasant chicks. I have 4 that are three weeks old. How can I tell the sex, or can I at this point?

Lisa

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Not sure about the ringnecks, untill you start seeing the darker feathers comming in on their breast

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lisa, you can check the legs for little spurs. The males typically get the bumps and the girls don't. They all have the flat bump, but the boys will start to come out the leg. Also, by about 6-8 wks ringneck male start showing the white ring on the neck and start developing a different feather pattern than the "dull" appearance of females. And the boys get the red around the eye skin at 2-3 months - girls take a bit longer, if you really see red on them at all (it's usually more pink).

Jody

6. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    Thanks Pine Grove, we did notice 2 of them had lighter eyes the hubby commented on it.. great info to know :O)
    thanks again..
    Denna

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks hinkjc - I will have to check them out tomorrow. they sure are active little things. comical too. They seem to be staying friendly too.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by