1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Polish Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamacatPatch, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MamacatPatch

MamacatPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    We got a bunch of 'ornamental' chickens this year from MacMurray Hatcheries, something new for us. Of course we ordered all pullets but I began to wonder how to tell the boys from the girls with these hens. [They aren't all polish, but about 11 of them are.] They are funny looking and without the combs or hoods or spurs or cockadoodledos, how would I know if any roos slipped by the chick checkers?

We got 16 'pullets' from Rural King, a local farm store, and so far we've found out SEVEN of them are roosters! ARGH!!!! Think I'll stick with MacMurray's Hatcheries!!!

Anyhow, how would I know if I got any roos in the polish bunch???

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know the breed well, but from what I've seen the cockerels get pointy head feathers and the pullets are rounded, more poofy.

3. LoveMyChicklets

LoveMyChicklets Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Lapeer, MI
    Quote:I have one polish roo. If you check out my BYC page there is a picture of the young roo. You'll notice the longer tail feathers close to the body... That and the coloring was the only way I knew he was a roo at that age.

4. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    Just went to your page but I sure can't see that polish roo anywhere!

5. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
  6. MamacatPatch

Jul 10, 2007
    AHA, so the Polish roos have big long waddles too! Do they also have the spurs? I'm pretty sure our 20 week old polish chickens are all hens but just wanted to 'be on the lookout' in case a roo or two slipped in under the radar!!

7. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    I have 3 polish roos - they were supposed to be hens - you can check them out on my page - they have the pointy, not poofy, head feathers, and the pointy tail feathers that droop down. And they have the chin waddles.

8. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    The non bearded roos have big long waddles because the other boy that was hatched the same day as my two had big waddles already at 2 1/2 months old while my bearded Polish cockerel has no waddles that I can see and is just turning red now, at 4 1/2 months old.

9. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    It is the girl who has tiny waddles coming in now. they are maybe 1/4 inch, and not really red, more a pale pinkish.

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Yep. Check out my page. I have a polish hen and roo. You can tell the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by