Sexing polish chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jossanne, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've read that with polish chicks, pullets feather out earlier than cockerels. In your experience, how accurate is this?

Looking at my babies (they're hatchery quality), the ones whose crest is developing the most quickly, the feathers seem to be more pointed than round on the chicks whose crests are the biggest. They are 4 weeks old. I have two whose crests are barely beginning to develop at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had 2 roos that kept me guessing for 8-10 weeks. Couldn't decide who was female. Didn't know till the boys grew that spikey hair, and both turned out to be roos

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks for the input seminolewind. Any others out there that might help? I bought 6 because my mom's polish chick died shortly after arrival, and they had these at the feed store when I stopped by one day. I plan to give some to my mom. She wants a pair of buff-laced. Do you think that if I give her one with a big crest and one with hardly any I've got a good chance of a pair?

I'm delivering them to her on Tuesday, and really need answers. Thanks in advance!

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes the males will have thicker legs, sorry all I can think of at that age.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by