Sexing Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Valley quail breeder, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Came across this from a breeders website was wondering if anyone was familiar with this? http://www.klansgamebirds.net/resources.php

How
    about a Sexing String ?
    Well I learned this one from one of the best Mountain Quail breeders from Ohio, Robert Roney. Bob as he was known to most was 80 years old when I had the chance to meet him in person after a few years of talking with him on the phone and letters back and forth, he was a very nice man and always took the time to teach you about the birds. I was at his house on the way to visit Marvin Trice and stopped to pick up a few birds for him on my way over. Mr. Roney took me out back his home and I was really taken back by his set up. He had a three foot chain link fence around an area no more than 15' x 15' inside this area were his pens of rusted chicken wire that I'll bet you could have stuck your hand right through it and all the birds would get out, his pens, from what I can remember they were only about two foot high and at the most six foot long, but he could hatch and raise the Mountain quail, they were packed in there, no fighting, no nose or toe pecking, they were well taken care of. He told me always give them greens (lettuce or apples) everyday. I can remember he told my dad that when lettuce was selling for 1.25 a head he still gave them one everyday, well the average price of lettuce back in the day I knew him it was right around 33 cents a head. We thought that was unheard of to spend that kind of money on birds. As Bob pulled a few Mountain quail out of the pens to put in a box for Marvin, he asked me if I knew how to sex a mountain quail, I replied, that no I did not , being this was actually the first time I had gotten to see a live mountain quail in person. He gave the bird to me to hold, as I held the bird, I thought for sure I was going to crush it to keep it from flying away, the price back then $125.00 a pair, a lot of money for me since I was just getting into raising other quail besides common Bobwhites. As I held the bird at his request, he reached in his pocket and pulled out a string with a small nail tied onto the end of it. He said that this was the way that he sexed his birds and said that I could also sex my birds at home the same way if I could never tell the difference in my birds when they were young. He held the nail that was suspended from the string about an inch from the top of the birds head, I just looked and said, what is this going to do. In a split second the nail had began to move, he told me if it moves in a circular motion it will be a hen, if it swings back and forth, tail to beak it is a male, I was kind of skeptical of what I had just witnessed and he knew it, because he said, here you try it, as he grabbed another Mountain quail from the cages below. He told me to hold the bird back as far as I could with out getting my hand it the way of the hanging nail. I held the nail above his head and well, who would have guessed, it was doing the same thing that he said it would, amazing. He then told me that this is the way that they sexed chickens on his parents farm back in the old days, remember Bob was in his 80's when I met him. Now there are a lot of people out there that would chalk this up to hog wash, or folklore, but it works, I use it all the time, I think that if someone else, perhaps younger would have showed me this I would not believe in it at all, but you really have to trust the old guys and what they say, don't you ? Below is a diagram of how the string and nail should work for you, the main thing to remember is to keep yourself away from the string and nail, it all works on magnetism in the body, you can try in on yourself or others, or you can try it on birds you are 100% sure of like a male ring-neck pheasant or something of that nature. I used it on my wife when she was pregnant with both our children and it worked. Here is the swing direction of the string and the sex that it implies. Male: String will swing from beak to tail or front to back. Female: String will circle around the head. Picture of the simple string and nail set-up. I hope that maybe you will try one or maybe both of these ideas I have sent your way, if not, I did my part in filling another space in this issue.

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Yup that will work!
    I use 18 GA. 99% copper suspended from unwaxed dental floss attached to an 87.7 ohm flux-capassiter.

I mean..REALLY?
    This makes my 2 day 30 pack beer sexing bender look like ROCKET SCIENCE!

I'm just saying! [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

DIDNT KNOW ABOUT SEXING BUT YOU CAN SURE FIND THE SPOT TO PUT YOUR WELL WITH IT.... OR THE SEPTIC TANK [​IMG]

4. Valley quail breeder

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Use 2 close hangers when they point inward to find where to dig a well find the water vain.....LOL

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    Quote:While I tried the metal on a string with my wife (currently pregnant) and had no luck. I have actually seen this work for finding water, unfortunately it only found a buried water pipe and not the right place to dig a well. [​IMG]

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I'v been a plumber for almost 30 years and have used and seen'em used alot. The coat hangers will pick up phone lines, sewer lines,water lines, a metal sign post laid out on top of the ground, over head power lines, a vein of sand ..... and nuthin at all. Just depends on the day and how the user holds there mouth... Bill

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:makes me feel better too I lay the chicks on their backs and scratch/rub they bellies the males hate it the females seem to like it now and then I get a male that is kina sweet it don,t work with them that and the hens have much rounder heads most males are little blockheads hey valley let em laugh at me for a little while LOL

8. Valley quail breeder

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    It came from this website has nothing to do with me... http://www.klansgamebirds.net/resources.php

Quote:makes me feel better too I lay the chicks on their backs and scratch/rub they bellies the males hate it the females seem to like it now and then I get a male that is kina sweet it don,t work with them that and the hens have much rounder heads most males are little blockheads hey valley let em laugh at me for a little while LOL

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Oh yes work great, but heck just use it on the eggs, eat those eggs that will hatch males , no reason to hatch that many males.

You know all the big hatchery use them......reason its so hard to buy those rare cockerels.

Reason not to hatch store eggs ,they have been string sexed already. All males

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WATER VEIN, COUNTY 8 INCH WATER MAIN, SEPTIC TANK, LEACH LINES...

I'VE SEEN DIVINING DONE VERY SUCESSFULLY FOR WATER THO, MAYBE IT DOES WORK ON CHICK SEXES. MANY OLD WIVES TALES DO HAVE SOME TRUTH.. SOME ARE COMPLETELY TRUE- BUT US HIGH TECH YOUNG WHIPPER SNAPPERS HAVE LOST THE KNACK FOR IT, OR THE CONFIDENCE IN IT.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by