Sexing Question - Feather Trait All Breeds or Just Some?

I'm looking forward to ordering some Dominiques this spring to carry forward my BSL generations. Hoping to get a Dom roo also. Then, in future, I can breed BSL green egg layers using my avatar roo, Jack x Doms, and Doms using Dom roo over Dom hens. Doms also make pretty good broodies. When ever I sell birds, people snap up those BSLs b/c they are so pretty, and can't be had from a hatchery. When the time comes, it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement for Jack. (though I hate to see that time come!!!

Lg--I'm thinking the same think with my Eric---he's going to be 4 this next spring. I love him like crazy, but I know he's not going to last forever. I may start keeping cockerels next year as a replacement. I liked his dad a lot also, not quite as much but he was a great bird. His grand dad was a psycho stalker, though.

QM--He's a multi-generational mutt. Started with something Red x buff Orp--that was my psycho stalker rooster. Put him over a barred Rock hen and got RJ, my great bsl rooster. Put him over a Welsummer hen and got my Eric. He's my rooster crush, I'm telling you. Never have I been so attached to a bird as I am to this guy.

I might start looking at Doms instead of Rocks, if they tent to go broody.

Lg--I'm thinking the same think with my Eric---he's going to be 4 this next spring. I love him like crazy, but I know he's not going to last forever. I may start keeping cockerels next year as a replacement. I liked his dad a lot also, not quite as much but he was a great bird. His grand dad was a psycho stalker, though.

QM--He's a multi-generational mutt. Started with something Red x buff Orp--that was my psycho stalker rooster. Put him over a barred Rock hen and got RJ, my great bsl rooster. Put him over a Welsummer hen and got my Eric. He's my rooster crush, I'm telling you. Never have I been so attached to a bird as I am to this guy.

Your experience negates the theory that aggressive roos beget aggressive roos. I absolutely love Dom personalities, as well as their rose combs.

Last edited:
Well, he was not aggressive to me. He was a psycho stalker to a couple of buff Orpington hens is all. Relentless, stand on the porch and wait for them to venture out and jump on them while they screamed and fought. He free ranged with over a dozen other hens, but those two ladies were his obsession. Other than that, he was wonderful
roll.png

And yep, he tasted just like chicken
lol.png

I like that term, rooster crush! I'll have to start using that. Some roosters are more charming than real men! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom