Sexing question for easter eggers to barred hens

Mar 17, 2018
Desert southwest, a farm in N.M.
My Coop
My Coop
1. Barred rocks can be feathers sexed right? Because hens feather quicker than roos in this breed?

2. So im wondering if easter egger roo to barred rock hens or copper maran hens can be feather sexed? Wing feathers.
I have some hatching today. The roo is barred but is reddish orange. .
Screenshot_2019-03-23-19-22-59.png

4.The other "ameraucauna" is black body and white striped neck (He is probably an easter egger not ameraucana) but would his chicks be sex linked with a smaller white dot on the male chicks and a larger looser edged ones on the females?
. so with my non barred easter egger I would get sex links with my barred hens right? Except i had the otther roo in with them right now anyway...

None of the mixes mentioned will be sex linked or feather sexable.

If you had a completely solid roo to put over the barred rock or cuckoo marans then you would have sex linked babies, but not with the mixes you mention.

1. Barred rocks can be feathers sexed right? Because hens feather quicker than roos in this breed?

No, they cannot be feather sexed. No breed can. If you read the first post in this thread it explains why. Basically the mother has to have the slow feathering gene and the father has to be pure for the fast feathering gene. That cannot happen from one generation to the next in a breed.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

If you are breeding barred rock to barred rock the male will have two barred genes and the female will have only one. That's what makes the barred gene a sex linked gene. The male chicks will have a larger spot than the females, with practice you can tell the difference in the spots when they hatch. After they feather out the males will be much lighter in color than the females. In those respects purebred barred rock chicks can be sexed but they cannot be feather sexed.

2. So im wondering if easter egger roo to barred rock hens or copper maran hens can be feather sexed? Wing feathers.

Not with any assurance. You don't know if your EE rooster is pure for slow feathering, fast feathering, or split between the two. The Barred Rock hen should be slow feathering so she should uphold her part, but you don't know what the Marans hen has.

4.The other "ameraucauna" is black body and white striped neck (He is probably an easter egger not ameraucana) but would his chicks be sex linked with a smaller white dot on the male chicks and a larger looser edged ones on the females?

I'm having trouble with this one. Not sure why you think it might work this way. I can't think of any way it could.

. so with my non barred easter egger I would get sex links with my barred hens right?

With a non-barred rooster and a barred hen the male offspring will be barred and the female offspring will not be barred. You can tell once they start feathering out. The male chicks will have a spot on the head when they hatch, the female chicks will not. Since your rooster is mainly black and the BR hen is basically black, there is a strong possibility you will be able to see that spot. So, yes you could get black sex links if you can see the spot. With mixed genetics birds like your mostly black rooster you don't get guarantees that you will be able to see the spot.

Back
Top Bottom