Sexing question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bcmama, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Do female silkies have combs and wattles? I have a 19 week old buff silkie that is starting to get a little comb and small wattles. I understand silkies mature slower than others and you don't know what you have until they either crow or lay an egg, but my other silkie (same age) doesn't have anything, but she is also maturing at a slower rate. My BR hens have combs and wattles but my EE only have little combs and no wattles so I didn't know what characteristics female silkies have.

Just checking

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    a pic would help

3. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay so I took pics of both silkies. They are both 19 weeks. The black one, Peeps, was the very runt of all runts. She has taken much longer to develop than the others.

The buff colored silkie is the one I am really wondering about. It was a little gray out today. Hope you can see everything. She did not want me to take her picture and was very worried about my purple and pink phone getting near her. Hahaha Hope you can see enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is our black silkie. We think also a hen but one never knows? She has a little comb but no wattles. She likes to be held, likes might be strong, tolerate might be better. No problem taking her picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I see 2 roosters. Definitely the buff one.

5. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    What makes them rooster looking?

6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    The little smushey thing above his nose is the key for me. It is just a bit bigger and wrinkley on a silkey roo. Some of my silkey roos got to stick around for awhile as they are lower on the pecking order.

7. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    So silkie hens do not have combs or wattles? That was my original question. As my BR and EE hens do have combs with the BR"s also have quite large wattles silkies hens should not?

8. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I'm not a Silkie expert but if I had to guess the buff looks like a cockerel and he black one like a pullet.

9. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    [And the buff look roostery by his stance, darker shade, and the feathering in the saddle and hackle areas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  10. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I say pullets, because they are 19 weeks. I don't have silkies though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by