1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Rhode Island Red Chicks (needs immediate answer please!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lyndatu, Dec 11, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Helloooooo

I am about to go to the feed store to get 2 of those "sunshine" chickens(RIR's). They're quite expensive. We really need a female......even just one female and one roo...........2 pullets are better, of course......they're around a day old..............do you have a sexing technique? Please, HURRY!

Thanks in advance!

QUICK

2. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I'm new to this myself so I don't know how much help I can be. Maybe if someone dosn't give you an answer before you pick them up you could just ask them at the co-op or wherever you are getting them from. Hopefully they have some kind of experience at sexing them if they order chickies on a regular basis for people.

Jayare

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry, but it's going to be 50/50 since I don't think that they will be breeding the parents for feather sexing characteristics and that's about all you can do for day olds. Cross your fingers and pick two.

4. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I'm not saying this is fail proof but wait a few more days (if you are able to) and then pick the ones that are feathered more in the wings and tail. In certain breeds, the female will tend to feather out quicker than the males. Like I said, it isn't fail proof but has worked wonderfully for me in the past with all different breeds. Good luck.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quite expensive? How expensive? Day olds from a feed store shouldn't be that much.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yep, they sell for around $1.00 each at stores here for straight runs.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I think Lyndatu is in another country so prices may be very different than the USA. Not sure though.

8. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    We tried an experiment one time because we were tired of getting boys.... So we held them by the heads letting the body hand and if they are fairly quiet and just hang they are girls and if they are fighting like crazy they are boys... it is 80% accurate.

Lol

Arklady

9. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks

Just got the chicks. They're 60 pesos each( a little more than $1), but we bought 2 of them so that makes 120 pesos. That's expensive for us! My parents are getting mad at my chicks......

Hmmm..........I tried Arklady's techniques and I think it works! One didn't struggle too much, while the other one did. Thanks to all!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  10. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Quote:My grandfather raised and owned hundreds of chickens, mostly English Games, and he sexed all his chicks this way.

I've never heard of anyone else doing it before!

Nicole

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by