Sexing RIR, silkie chicks

kressg23

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Idaho
Hi all,
My RIR chicks are 4 weeks old now. I was hoping I'd be able to tell what they were by now, but I can't! Are there any sure-fire tips on male vs. female traits that I could look for? They are absolutely identical except one has a red tip on its beak and the other doesn't.

My black silkies are about 10 weeks old now and I think we'll be re-naming Rosie to something else, as she has dark red wattles and Petunia doesn't. Does this make "her" a male? She's smaller in size than Petunia and I was hoping for 2 females, but this will still be fun.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light!
smile.png

I'm still trying to figure out my silkies as well. I know one is a rooster based on behavior, not sure about the rest. They're tricky. The one thing I noticed about my silkies is that the one I'm pretty sure is a rooster is a lot heavier than the others and has a little bump where a comb is going to be. My 3 week RIR males are all starting to get pink combs. I know they are males b/c they were included in my Ideal order as packing peanuts. They looked like this 3 days ago and have gotten more feathers since then, but if yours have similar combs they are probably roosters.

_MG_0092small.jpg

Last edited:
With Silkies, males typically have bigger feet and thicker legs, a wider more plump comb and the feathers on the head point more backwards instead of poofy and up and out.

Charli my roo
smile.png

charli.jpg

charliroxie.jpg

Last edited:
guitarist....what age is your silkie? so pretty! Funny you should post about weights, my kids noticed that some of our straight run silkies are noticeably heavier than others despite the fact that they are all the same size. I wonder if you're on to something with that!! Mine are only two weeks old, but some of them are definitely more hefty than others.

Gosh, I dunno..... I think he was born just before Easter. Sooo... how ever old that makes him LOL I can't do math this early in the morning
tongue.png

Roxie is a Mille Fleur d'Uccle
smile.png
I could be wrong.... but I think Antwerps have non-feathered feet. I think maybe yours is a d'Uccle also
wink.png

Your right!!! I never saw the Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantams!

I ordered my chicks from MPC and I ordered a Antwerp Belgium Bantam. It doesn't matter now because she is so sweet and I could call her anything and I'd love her!

Do you like the temperament of yours?

She is my BABY!!!!
big_smile.png
She is so tame and I can just slip my hand under her and lift her out and carry her wherever. When I talk to her or pet her her eyes do that funny thing that parrots often do when they are happy. And when I sit her on my lap, she just lays down and stays there
smile.png
And she's sooooooo pretty
wink.png
Of course, I am biased LOL I just adore the feathered feet! They have always been one of my favorite breeds, and when I got her I had no idea what she was.... I was soooo stoked to find out she was a d'Uccle
big_smile.png

Mines exactly the same way....
At first I thought she was scared out of her mind but when I let my hands go she still stayed in my lap. She's my baby too. The sweetest one of my bunch!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom