1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SowdersHomestead, Feb 19, 2012.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    We got 25 free RIR chicks that were all supposed to be males. My wife of course is hoping that there may be a couple females thrown in accidentally. Upon doing some research my wife came across info stating that if there is a black line running down the back of the head then its a male. She also found out that if feathers appear with in the first couple of days they are females.

Any validity to this?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote: And if you read some more, you'll find folks saying just the opposite. No, you can't sex them by a black line on the head, sorry. My female RIRs had the lines in the last batch I hatched here, but not all of them, though mine were not hatchery RIRs. What you might just do is wait about three or four weeks and the males will become obvious to you by their comb size and color on the RIRs.

It's possible they made a sexing mistake and sent a pullet in there. Sure hope so!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  3. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    So these things are now 7 weeks old. What should I be looking for to see if I got a pullet or 2 in this batch of free roosters?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by