1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing RR and White leghorns

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pne123, Sep 20, 2009.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    We have two RR that look the same and 3 White leghorns that look the same but 2 are a bit larger than the third one. They are about 6 months old. We are getting eggs from one of the white ones. we get about hite 2 eggs in 3 days so i know one of the leghorns is a hen. The RR both look like hens to me. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    All are females! [​IMG]

3. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    They all look like girls to me. None of the Leghorns have curved tails, right?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They look like all hens to me. [​IMG]

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Congrats.............All look like ladies to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    great. thanks. If the leghorns ended up being roo's the wife would have been upset but atleast i would have gotten to eat them. we wanted BOs but they gave us the wrong ones by the time we the feathers started coming in white it was already to late. kids had them named and they ages were right mingle w/ the other chicks. oh well atleast they are better egg producers than BOs.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    pullets..But BO are more buff at birth than a leghorn so if you try again go for the goldish buff not the yellow chick [​IMG] but those leghorns will lay much better than a BO so you did well.

8. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    yea, i know the leghorns are egg machines but the wife wanted brown eggs LOL.

what is funny is on the day i posted we got our first brown egg so now we have at least one RIR and one leghorn producing.

9. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    Girls, girls, girls. I wish I had as much luck as you when getting pullets. I mostly end up with roos for some reason, my silkie has a brood of 7 chicks now, hope there's at least 1 girl [​IMG] .

Enjoy the eggs they'll be laying [​IMG]

10. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    How very beautiful your pullets are!!! Congrats on the girls being girls - and getting your first eggs!!! [​IMG] That is always fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by