Sexing Ruddy Shellducks

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by tonini3059, Aug 1, 2010.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I have four of them and I am unsure of how to sex them. I tried looking it up and was unsuccessful.
    Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    can also vent sex them at any age and tell. It's very easy to do with a little training.
    In short, flip them over
    fold the tail down, open the vent
    look closely as you fold the tail back and spread the vent open, nothing? Female or just not done right
    little worm? Male.
    once you get a male for sure, you'll know what you are looking for then and it will be no problem doing it from then on.
    If you plan to keep a lot of birds like this, you are going to have to learn how to do it, as a lot of waterfowl species, especially shelducks, are near identical in color

4. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Tonini: Vent sexing is the way to go, but you need someone to show you how to do it effectively and safely. You'll also need someone to help you interpret what you're looking at when you first start. This is one of the primary skills a dedicated waterfowl keeper should learn but its not something one can pick up off an internet forum.

Dr. Todd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by