Sexing Salmon Faverolle Chick- 4 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katdog, Mar 6, 2016.

1. katdog

katdog New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    So normally I wouldn't be stressing about this, except my favorite chick of the batch is the only Faverolle. I've kindof convinced myself she's a he... which would mean rehoming because my English Orpington Rooster "Bubba" came to us with a history of killing other roos. :(

She/he is almost 4 weeks old and very docile. Goes straight to sleep in our hands and seeks out human touch. She's gotten the beginnings of some dark pinfeathers underneath her wings but the rest is just fluff.

What concerns me is how dark her first set of flight feathers are, as well as the fast that she's already got a couple little bumps on her comb. They're not pink yet but I've seen that set in early in other cockerels so that concerns me. :( Any insight from anyone more experienced than I?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My only saving thought is that since her flight feathers have some gold tints in them, maybe she is a hen?? Sigh. I'm just going in circles in this point.

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Sorry, but it looks like a he. Maybe you could put a few hens and your salmon faverolles roo together in a pen (away from your other roo) If it does turn out to be a boy. I have heard that roos are friendlier when they are chicks and hens (when chicks) are more flighty. And when the roos are adults they are more flighty and the girls are more friendlier when adults. This is sometimes wrong though, since salmon faverolles are really docile. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wait a couple weeks......with most breeds, the males show red color in comb and wattles at 5-6 weeks....not sure if favorelles follow that tho.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sorry that is a cockerel. The dark wing feathers along with the slow feathering says it all. My pullet chicks have more feathers at this age.

5. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    Here's mine that everyone says is a boy as well....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Yup, yours is definite cockerel as well. Too bad you had an incubator issue and lost the others.

7. katdog

katdog New Egg

Feb 19, 2016
    Thanks for the help ya'll! I'll be looking for a good home for him and my baby partridge cochin cockerel together then!

8. andrea2chicken

andrea2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    oklahoma
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] here's mine I have had her for three weeks now. But some say she is a few weeks older then three week. Her breast is cream. Sam is one of my favorite birds but she don't let her know cause any extra attention has giving her the strength to stand up to bullies

9. nursesusanb

nursesusanb Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2015
    Maine
    Beautiful boy! The rooster pics of adults I have seen are just gorgeous!

10. eringudge

eringudge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Did you figure out if this one is a pulley or a roo yet? Andrea2chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by