Sexing salmon Faverolles chicks-6 weeks old

Apr 10, 2021
Chicken #1 on the left, chicken #2 on the right, concerned chicken number one might be a roo!
C1B97ABA-5A81-4AE4-BB38-9AD9CEE3253F.jpeg
C8B2FCB3-5A2C-43CB-A3B6-9DE6374594E6.jpeg
D99D0894-3E85-4519-B47C-27C7495ADD5A.jpeg
E79FD607-B341-44DC-A6D4-1823BD4303C5.jpeg

Normally, such dark feathers would make it certain they are male. Your pics aren't great quality - it is hard to zoom in well, but look at those dark feathers - are they dark BROWN or actually black? if black, that is an indicator of male, particularly on the chest. A female does not have black feathers.

However, a poorly colored female can have dark brown feathers.

We've had both M and F SF before. The male comb usually develops more than yours are at at this age. But pic quality isn't great above, so hard to really say.

Bought as a sexed Male. Note black feathers coming in on chest, and obvious comb
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.57.35 AM.png

Sexed females (different source) at approx 3-4 weeks. Note combs are small
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.58.41 AM.png

Same 2 females as above, but closer to 8 weeks old. combs aren't much more prominent.
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 10.59.12 AM.png

Another SF female from a different source. She is poorly colored - she has pretty dark feathers. but comb is small, and not very colored or prominent. this one is around 3-4 weeks old.
Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.00.15 AM.png

So, SF from 3 different sources. coloring can vary, but only males should have black chest feathers.

Normally, such dark feathers would make it certain they are male. Your pics aren't great quality - it is hard to zoom in well, but look at those dark feathers - are they dark BROWN or actually black? if black, that is an indicator of male, particularly on the chest. A female does not have black feathers.

However, a poorly colored female can have dark brown feathers.

We've had both M and F SF before. The male comb usually develops more than yours are at at this age. But pic quality isn't great above, so hard to really say.

Bought as a sexed Male. Note black feathers coming in on chest, and obvious comb
View attachment 2610271

Sexed females (different source) at approx 3-4 weeks. Note combs are small
View attachment 2610272

Same 2 females as above, but closer to 8 weeks old. combs aren't much more prominent.
View attachment 2610273

Another SF female from a different source. She is poorly colored - she has pretty dark feathers. but comb is small, and not very colored or prominent. this one is around 3-4 weeks old.
View attachment 2610274

So, SF from 3 different sources. coloring can vary, but only males should have black chest feathers.
Thank you for the response, I’m new to the community and everyone is so helpful! I bought them both as vent sexed pullets, and so far they seem very verrrry dark brown so I’ll be hoping for two hens but keeping my eye out!

If you really want hens get them now but make sure there sexed. Favorelles chicks are sex links breed, so dark colored chicks are males and light tan colors are females. Take your time and look for these colors don't let the seller give you what they think they are.

Thank you for the response, I’m new to the community and everyone is so helpful! I bought them both as vent sexed pullets, and so far they seem very verrrry dark brown so I’ll be hoping for two hens but keeping my eye out!

Hopefully they are female and the feathers are just a dark brown. But, vent sexing is only about 90% accurate, so errors occur.

Back
Top Bottom