Sexing Sebright Bantams + A Bonus Bantam

eveliens

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Really struggling to sex the sebrights. I have 3 d'uccles, 5 sebrights and 5 Japanese bantams, and I just can't figure these guys out. Granted they are 4 weeks today, which I know is a little young, but I want to start lining up homes (and seeing if I need to get another batch of chicks - I have a lot of chicks that appear to be cockerels even though I bought 13 so I'd have a decent number of hens 😩). These are placeholder names to keep from being attached but I'm sure they'll end up sticking haha.

BeetleJuice: Cockerel?? Does not fight with the other cockerels or make much noise, little bitty wattles. Comb is reddish but flat.
Vulture: Pullet. Gray comb, no sign of wattles, does not engage with the other cockerels, very quiet
Hei Hei: Cockerel? Comb is reddish but flat, little wattles. Does engage with the other cockerels but not quarrelsome just playful
McMeanie (and unpictured twin): Cockerel. Fights, big spiky red comb and visible wattles.
Sus the d'uccle: Cockerel? McMeanie hates and bullies him (?) a lot.

beetlejuice.jpg
vulture.jpg
heiehei.jpg
mcmeanie.jpg
sus.jpg

Attachments

• sus.jpg
    sus.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hei hei, suss and mcmeanie are the obvious cockerels for now
That's what I was afraid of. What a bummer! 3 of the 5 Japanese bantams also appear to be cockerels (1 for-sure, 2 strongly suspected). Sus is the friendliest of the lot, although the name is Sus for Suspicious because I suspected he was a cockerel. Won't miss McMeanie even if he is a very handsome lad!

That's what I was afraid of. What a bummer! 3 of the 5 Japanese bantams also appear to be cockerels (1 for-sure, 2 strongly suspected). Sus is the friendliest of the lot, although the name is Sus for Suspicious because I suspected he was a cockerel. Won't miss McMeanie even if he is a very handsome lad!
My Sebright roo is awful. He's good to my girls, but he hates me. If he were a big guy, he'd be long gone by now...
20210213_155930.jpg

My Sebright roo is awful. He's good to my girls, but he hates me. If he were a big guy, he'd be long gone by now...
View attachment 2778262
Hei Hei is actually a super sweet fellow but his three "brothers" are really standoffish with me and McMeanie earned his name via brutally beating up several of the other cockerels (but not the other sebrights interestingly enough) even though he's only 4 weeks old! They are very good with the pullet though so far and have a very keen eye for hawks. I'm hoping being handsome and good flock roosters will work in their favor. However, I knew when I got SR that some might end up in Freezer Camp, since I can't keep roosters legally here and it can be hard to find pet-only homes.

Your roo is very handsome!

Going off my sebrights, i have golden and the first is male and 2nd is female. I noticed my girls have the gold on their shoulders while the males have less gold and it doesnt go into the shoulder and neck area.

Going off my sebrights, i have golden and the first is male and 2nd is female. I noticed my girls have the gold on their shoulders while the males have less gold and it doesnt go into the shoulder and neck area.
Darn, I was trying to be hopeful, but I was pretty sure BeetleJuice is a boy. That makes sense though.

Darn, I was trying to be hopeful, but I was pretty sure BeetleJuice is a boy. That makes sense though.
Im sorry!! Thankfully we just completed our male banram coop so i at least had a place for mine. We have 103 chickens and so far i have 2 OEGB roos and i believe 2 silkie roos, 2 mille fleur d'Uccle and the 2 golden sebright.
We will take most males to auction as most our chickens are full size breeds, but our banties are safe im their new home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom