Sexing Silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chantels1, Oct 19, 2016.

Pullet/Cockerel

Poll closed Oct 30, 2016.
  1. Pullet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cockerel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chantels1

chantels1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    I fear this beautiful blue silkie is a cockerel. We bought it as a chick, straight run, so I knew it was a possibility, but we can't have roosters where we live, so I am trying to be certain before we find him a home and start over. This is supposed to be my daughters showmanship bird. It is a beautiful bird, but I think we got a cockerel here. Do you agree?

Larger comb/waddles, indicate male. Large non-swept back poof indicate hen. I don't see any "streamers" which would also indicate male. His posture changes. Some days I am certain he is a rooster, but some days he walks casually like a hen. It's so hard.

Anyone else want to include their guess?

Current age is 8-9 weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I'm no expert when it comes to Silkies, they are hard :( but yours looks to be a Pullet. See the feathering on it's head, it's 'puffy round' not 'slim & pointy'.....Wait for those that KNOW Silkies to peep in, I'll be HOPING with you, it's a pretty one.

3. chantels1

Feb 24, 2013
    I hope you are right @ChickNanny13 . Seeing a bit of red in the waddles today disappointed me, but the waddles are small so far. I have no other silkies to compare to, but I do have a frizzle sizzle and a smooth sizzle to compare with, and neight have the large comb/waddles this one does.

4. chantels1

Feb 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here are some pics I took yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm thinking young to have such a big comb - otherwise would guess it is a pullet. BUT, silkies are extremely hard to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow.

6. chantels1

Feb 24, 2013
    I agree. He is so pretty. Now to decide if we should bring him in at night, or if she can keep him at her Dad's house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by