Sexing silkies...updated with pics (granted, not very good ones, lol)

Hopefulloflove

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Benson, NC
Ok, how do you tell the sex of a silkie? Mine are about 12 weeks old now, and I am just curious...thanks
smile.png
I have added some photos...they aren't the best and I can't figure out how to post directly to this site, so you will have to follow the link...sorry about that
th.gif

https://picasaweb.google.com/112589597656141943842/ChickensAndCoop#

Last edited:
Mine is 12 weeks as well and every time I think I know the gender...I see another pic which makes me question my own guess....
I told my DH that right now...I'm sure that Jo is a chicken!
hu.gif

Ack! The waiting to know for sure is killing me!!!!!

its still too early to tell but when the get about 4-6 mos the males will start to grow combs and wattles and the hens will pretty much stay the same size

You're not gonna like this.... Even straight from the American Silkie Bantam Club website... Until it crows or lays an egg!
But seriously, post a few pics. There are people here that know.
Make sure you get a full frontal shot of the comb, the back of the head where streamers would be, the backside of the bird.
They all have subtle differences that the trained eye can pick up.
And even certain colors have different telltale signs.
Good luck!

Things you can look for that will HINT at sex: Do one or two birds have noticeably thicker legs than others? Does anyone have obvious streamers (long "hairs" that stick up from the head, looking like the wind is blowing them back). Hatchery silkies are generally easier to sex than better quality silkies.

My silkies came from a local breeder, so I am not sure of thier quality, although they are beautiful!
smile.png

I will check that out more and maybe take some pics and put up here..thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom