Sexing Silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cray4en, Aug 30, 2010.

1. cray4en

cray4en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Is There Anyway To Sex A Silkie Before Adulthood. I Can Tell Then But Not Before. Does Anyone Vent Sex And How To Tell?

Thanks

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies are one of the hardest breeds to determine sex, and like most bantam breeds vent sexing isn't reliable AT ALL - they all look female if you were to try and vent sex them at a day old, and I do believe there is more chance of injuring a bantam chick because of their much smaller size. They say not to attempt vent sexing after a week old on any size chick anyway - again I believe it is because of chances of injury to their vent.

A silkie you usually can't get a good indicator until 3 months of age sometimes even as late at 6 months before you are sure.

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    As most people say, wait til it crows or lays an egg [​IMG]
    You can watch for comb/wattle growth. I had a silkie around 3-4 months getting pretty big wattles/comb, and it is a boy lol.
    If they get streamers, I think they are just longer feathers on the head/tail its probably a boy. And a slanted crest may also mean its a boy while a more poofy one might be a girl.
    Those are just some things to help, but doesn't mean any of them are accurate for sure of telling the sex.
    And vent sexing should really be done the first day or days. Im not sure if wing sexing is any way to help on sexing a silkie that is a chick, but you have to do that within the first few days too.

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I think that the only sure fire way to know if to wait for a crow or rooish behavior, or a lovely egg.

I just realized today that my one and only black silkie is a boy. I had been crossing my fingers that it was a girl, but I was in the coop today and there he CROWED! oh well. I really wanted to hatch some silkie x motled houdan eggs, but now I guess I will do black cochin bantam x black silkie bantam. well he is a keeper reguardless!! I would say have patience and the bird will let you know eventually

5. cray4en

cray4en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    thank you! i wanted the kids to show the chicks in the fair but being i can not tell which the are they will wait till next season. they have 2 silkie boy adults. i to am hopeing for a black hen. i have 2 cocks and wanted a girl but the more i look at the chick i think it is a boy.

eden & noah have 3 buff, 1 black, and 4 partridge silkie chicks

no matter what they are we will keep them.

6. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i am to the point where i can look at the chick and know. i have a pretty high success right now but its because i see so many!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by