1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunChick, May 12, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    What age can you tell with these little fuzz balls? Mine are about 6 weeks old and all are BLUE!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] I bet they are beautiful! I love blue...

Silies are one of the hardest to sex. Sometimes, you have to wait until they crow or lay an egg!
    I have three- only one of which has started laying. I didn't know about the other two until my roo started flirting with them. [​IMG]

3. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    geez carribrown...that was a big help Hee hee hee.

yes they are very pretty birds! [​IMG]

4. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    unfortunately thats the only answer to that question!!! It can be frustrating, but you just have to keep them all until they grow up and then decide. I have 1 blue silkie that I can't figure out what it is, I have never had it lay an egg, or crow at 9 months old. I am thinking rooster though because its the only one my splash silkie rooster never tries to breed! I hope that hes right because I really want a blue rooster.

5. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Anyone ever try DNA sexing? I remember doing this with some of my parrots when I had them. can't remember the $$ though.

6. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Some people do the DNA testing, but most just wait and see. [​IMG]

Look at them in comparison with each other. Noting small differences can give you clues, but it is still a guessing game for a while.

Comb size and visibility.... is it small and mostly obscured by the crest or more prominant.
    Crest..... round and even in length or are there little spikes pointed towards the back.
    Leg size.... look for larger, thicker legs on cockerels.
    Behavior..... pullets tend to duck and hide their heads when frightened and cockerels put their head up.

chel

7. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    OK I had to chime in on this one. Good morning eggchel! I have indeed absolutely two cukoo chicks that are freaking identical. Hatched last november. Now I would SWEAR they are both roosters except...That one of them laid an egg!! We know this cause now that it is spring we've been able to turn alot of birds out and have been sorting the juveniles. This was the only bird in the pen at the time. I thought maybe it was left over, but nope we have gotten an egg 4 days in a row from that pen. So apparently I have a very manly looking silkie pullet! I'm hoping she molts and feathers in w/ a little more lady like features. The other cukoo crows BTW. So no matter they say about top knots sloping and combs and wattles I am now a true believer of the "if it lays an egg or crows then you now for sure. "

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    LOL J.J.!! Yup, they can really fool ya.

This guy has little streamers from his crest that give away his sex. And, he is big, with big legs and feet.

chel

[​IMG]

9. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Quote:And that would be one of these birds:

Just brining this to the for front. AS many of you know my 13 year old son is the one who truely raises these silkies. As of today August 30th 2007 He has still not recieved payment for these birds. $50 total was for one black hen ,1 blue pullet , 1 blue cockeral and 2 assorted chicks. Please if anyone sees Shelley selling eggs or chicks from these birds let us know ASAP as she is no longer reachable by phone or E-mail. The last correspondence that we have had with her was in July when once agian she promised she was
    " Sending The Check"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by