1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by w8tn4fresheggs, May 20, 2007.

1. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    I have two silkie banties that will be six weeks tomorrow.

Last week I noticed one that had a pretty hair doo on top growing, the other does not. She doesn't have much of a comb at all.

Today I noticed that the other one has a purple bump on its nose or comb, if that is what you call it. Is something happening like an illness or does this mean it may be a roo?

Do I have a hen and a rooster?

Thanks, Steph

2. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    If the one with the nice round, fluffy hairdo, and the one with the purple bump on it's nose are different ones, I would guess it is a pullet and rooster. If it is the same one with the bump and fluffy hairdo, I don't know.
    Usually the pullets have a bit more of a neat, round hairdo, and the roos have a purple "bump" which is their comb. Good luck on having one of each.

3. w8tn4fresheggs

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Yes. One has the purple bump and the other has the pretty hair doo on top. I am excited, yet at the same time nervous.

Excited that I have roo that is at least a banty. Not as noisy??
    I live on 2 1/2 acres so it all should work out, unless the husband has a fit of hearing a roo.

Nervous because I didn't want fertilized eggs. I do have nests that are rollaway. They won't have a chance to get started, right?

I don't want a Roo that will bother all my other standard hens that are of different breeds and one Americana Banty. I don't want mixed or more chicks, I don't have the housing to provide for them.

What shall I do???

The two Silkies look adorable with each other. They were sappose to be Blue Silkies, for now they look to be Buffs. Don't know if the color will change in the future. I hope it all works out.

4. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Just pick the eggs, don't leave them out there, and there won't be any chicks hatching. And fertilized eggs are just fine to eat, and just as healthy, etc, as non-fertilized eggs. Most people with chickens have fertilized eggs, except the "egg factory" hens that are crowded in cages.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I have silkies too and the roo tries to mount the standards but he cant get on, he crows nearly as loud as standard roo up the street, in fact the little"*@^#!" crowed at 4.00am today actually i think I just heard him again and its 11pm, darn ill have to put him in a budgie cage overnight!!!
    I have had no problems selling any young roos from the past, just handle them alot so they are friendly to would be buyrers!!

6. w8tn4fresheggs

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Thanks bantymum, I will just have to see how it all plays out.

I have learned that life doesn't always go as planned, especially with chickens. I have lost one already and now I might have a Roo.

Today he is trying to put everyone in place. The barred rock standard, just pecked him good. So far the Americauna Standard hen is the boss.

Steph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by