Sexing silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JetBlackJo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. JetBlackJo

JetBlackJo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    I have 3 silkie chicks - one hatched on 5th August and the other two on 17th. Is there any clues you can give me to tell the sex? I understand it is hard to tell with these. Here are some pictures. First two are the "twins" and the bottom one is the older - sorry it's far away - I will try and find a better one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    They look too young.
    But, if you really want a guess, you would need to take some pics of their comb for someone to judge.

3. JetBlackJo

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    OK - I'll try to do that, thanks!

4. JetBlackJo

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    Here is a close up of the comb on the eldest silkie. It was about 2 months old here.
    [​IMG]

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks like a rooster. Large wide comb for its age and the crest looks like it is swept backwards. If this is a beardless silkie you will see the wattles growing as well.

6. JetBlackJo

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    OK, thank you! Can you tell me how old they are when they start crowing? On average...? And are silkies as loud as any other hen - I've never had them before!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  7. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    depends on the silkies, if no other roos probobly around 20 weeks. The ones ive met have been a bit quierter then big breeds but still loud

8. JetBlackJo

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    I have some more photos of the Silkies. I now think two of them are male and one female - what do you think? The one at the front of the first pic and highest up the ramp on the third pic is nearly 2 weeks older than the other two. I think it is male. It hatched on 5th August and the others around 17th. Please ignore the other chickens milling around!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    The one with the pink leg band looks like a pullet. The other two look like roosters, especially the one at the top of the ramp.

10. JetBlackJo

Sep 14, 2012
    Rayleigh, Essex, UK
    Yes, thanks. That's what I thought - hence the pink leg ring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by