Sexing Silkies!

lazypifarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Grand Prairie, TX
I have 4 Silkies that are evading identification. Let's start with the older ones, and you guys can give me your opinions as to whether I have girls or boys!

First, a gray/blue/lavender/whatever. She (see, I'm being hopeful) is several months old, just about full size.

#2 is a barred or cuckoo or otherwise kinda multicolor gray, same age as #1.

#3 is about a month old, no comb development to speak of so I didn't bother getting a front-facing photo, but he/she does have these odd brassy feathers coming in on his/her neck and back.

#4 is a month old, dark blue/black.

So! You Silkie folk, tell me what you think I've got here! Thanks so much, Silkies are not my normal area of expertise. But I do love the silly things! (She said, as if she didn't feel a bizarre level of adoration for chickens of all sorts.)

I'm pretty darn sure #1 is a rooster, which is a **** shame. I took a reeeeaally close look this morning, and he has pointed neck/hackle/saddle feathers. All signs point to "rooster."

I'm just not sure on the other three. #2 has such a more feminine look about her body shape, which makes me hold out hope that she is a hen.

#s 3 and 4 are, I suppose, just too young to know for sure.

For 1, im guessing roo. and for #4 im pretty confident shes a hen. If you could get me some more detailed photos of the other two I can take a crack at them. But those are the two I'm fairly confident about. though i do have a silkie hen who looks like a mini version of my roo,comb and all :). #2 i almost want to say roo, but if you could get me a side shot of head and body It'll help.

I have 4 Silkies that are evading identification. Let's start with the older ones, and you guys can give me your opinions as to whether I have girls or boys! First, a gray/blue/lavender/whatever. She (see, I'm being hopeful) is several months old, just about full size. Looks like a rooster to me. #2 is a barred or cuckoo or otherwise kinda multicolor gray, same age as #1. Rooster #3 is about a month old, no comb development to speak of so I didn't bother getting a front-facing photo, but he/she does have these odd brassy feathers coming in on his/her neck and back. . Maybe a pullet, I can't see her comb. And I also believe that the brassy highlights is called golden leakage #4 is a month old, dark blue/black. Pullet So! You Silkie folk, tell me what you think I've got here! Thanks so much, Silkies are not my normal area of expertise. But I do love the silly things! (She said, as if she didn't feel a bizarre level of adoration for chickens of all sorts.)

This is my silkie she is very protective of her coop. Her name is blue she is a blue silkie she Is very broody

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom