sexing silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BonRae67, Dec 26, 2014.

1. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    How do I tell the sex of this 2 month old silkie. It is all by itself living in our house. I rescued it after the mom stepped on it and cut its eye and only survivor of 7. Any advice. I have never raised a silkie.:love

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. Young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. You can post a pic of it on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this, and let our experts there take a look at it, but If you want any kind of guarantee on its gender, I would recommend waiting a couple of months and then posting its pic there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope for your sake, your Silkie turns out to be a pullet.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies can be impossible to sex before the age of 4-5 mos. Sometimes not till they either crow or lay eggs. The little chicks is fortunate you stepped in to rescue her. Have you ever raised chicks before.?

4. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Do you have other chickens besides the silkie?

5. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, loved helping my G-ma and mom years and years ago. My daughter is very interested in chickens and sparked a passion I had forgotten. Thanks for the info. BTW always raised RIR. Silkies are very new to me. Thanks again.

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's great, welcome back to chickens! We have 2 RIRs in our mixed flock and think they are great. I've never had a silkie but they are cute little fuzz balls.

7. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I have in the past. This one is sparking a passion I forgot I had. Silkies are new to me, I have always raised RIR. A few years ago we had 6 little banties just show up on our property neighborhood cats found them. We are building a better coop and run for this new adventure. Tomorrow we are putting silkie and tophat eggs in the incubator. I am so excited. Thank you.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You may be interested in reading some of the posts on the Incubating & Hatching Eggs forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck with your hatch!

9. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you for the information. I hope it is too. I was given a white rooster to go with this one. don't have it yet but getting him soon.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by