Sexing six week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mebigdave, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mebigdave

mebigdave New Egg

Sep 15, 2012

Hello and thanks for such a great forum.

Been following these forums for a while now and have learned a lot. I have 3 Brown Shavers from a battery farm to replace the last three I had. They were killed by a Stoat some months back. These new girls have adjusted well and are thriving. As pullets they are laying size 4/5 eggs.

To the question at hand – I bought some three week old chicks that are now six weeks and I am unable to determined which are cockerels and which are pullets….

The one on the left is the biggest of the eight. "Eyes' to the right is my sons pic.

[​IMG]

The one on the left is the same one from the pic above.
    These are the two biggest of the eight. I think they are both cockerels...
    [​IMG]

Heuwie, Dewy and Louis.
    [​IMG]

Now "Eyes" (sitting) was in the first pic but this is the last brownish one is on the right and I can't tell much between the smaller black ones.
    [​IMG]

All up there are eight chicks and I think from the infomation I have from this forum, the two large ones eating wheat on top of there old smaller coop are cockerels and I think the rest are pullets. Some have single combs and others have pea combs. I don't see any saddle feathers on any of them because I think they are too young - only six weeks today...

Any guesses would be great...

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You need to post up close pictures of their bodies and faces, but you can tell a lot from their faces on your own. If they are growing wattles and a comb that are already turning RED then chances are it's a boy.

You won't know for SURE until they are until they crow or 4 months old, which is when the roo feathers come in.

3. mebigdave

mebigdave New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    I'll try get some better photos tomorrow with a bigger zoom lens as I am unable to catch them.

4. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    I see 5 roos, but closer pics and side view pics will help determine a lil better, lol

5. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Better pics would be awesome, but looking at these and at feathering & comb size I vote all girls!

6. mebigdave

mebigdave New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Thank you for all the replies.

Ok looks like I may have to have my SLR serviced but have taken some more pics with side views of the Chicks as requested. I know it's still very early to be sexing them (Just about seven weeks now) but it's just for a bit of fun at precent. The first time one of then crow, he's off back to the farm I got them from.

Chick A
    [​IMG]

Chick B (Eyes)
    [​IMG]

Chick C
    [​IMG]

Chick D
    [​IMG]

Chick E
    [​IMG]

Chick F (Black one behind)
    [​IMG]

Chick G
    [​IMG]

Chick H
    [​IMG]

I wish I could start a pol on this forum for each one of the chicks to get votes on gender on each of them.

My Hy-Line Brown Hens are now giving me an egg each just about every day. I have Mrs. Brown or "Feather" and then the Twins as I can never tell the difference between the two of them. Mrs. Brown takes care of every one and talks to me when ever I sit with them and stroke the big girls. The chicks still won't let us get close to them as they were free range chicks with the mum.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

Are all these chicks different ages?

8. mebigdave

mebigdave New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Nope all the same age and from the same mum

9. mebigdave

mebigdave New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Sorry ChickenExtreme, I've only just seen your responce next to each picture - Thanks so much for your post.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd give the same answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by