sexing society finches

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by broody rooster, Jul 27, 2015.

1. broody rooster

broody rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    i currently have a male spice finch and whati assume to be 2 female society finches ive been told that males sing while females do what sounds like a cricket chirping does anyone know of any other ways just so i can be sure before i go get a male society finch for my other female because my first female seems to have taken a liking to the spice finch and they sit next to eachother and preen eachother and exclude the other female

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Finches are cool. We use to breed Zebra finches (we didn't mean to, but they did it whether we liked it or not [​IMG]).

I took this off another site:
    Singing and Dancing

Male society finches sing, while female finches make little chirping sounds. Since males sing a great deal, it shouldn't take long for you to figure out the sex of a particular bird. While singing is a regular activity, males also perform a courtship dance for female finches. They bounce back and forth on a perch while ruffling their neck feathers and stretching their necks. The female, or hen, might make a warning sound if she's not interested in his affections.

3. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    oh ok thankyou i got a male today i saw him doing the dance and singning in petsmart hopefully one of the females will warm up to him

4. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    one of my finches seems to have watery dropping and doesn't seem as active this started a little while ago and i was hoping it would go away but it hasn't and none of the vets in my area do birds so i was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before she is still eating and drinking but shes spending a lot of time not doing anything sitting and her vent feathers are dirty as well

5. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I would suggest cleaning their cage, waterers, and feeders. She could have worms, a fungal infection or a bacterial infection, and cleaning the cage will help with all of those.

6. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    is there anything i need to give her if she does have any of those some kind of antibiotic ?

7. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
  8. Umar488

Umar488 New Egg

Sep 23, 2015
    My zebra finch is not sitting on her eggs??

9. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    How long has it been? When did she lay them?

10. broody rooster

Jul 17, 2015
    she most likely has not finished laying [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by