Sexing Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcarter, Mar 12, 2015.

1. tcarter

tcarter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Hello chick experts! Always love to hear from you. Thought I would post my observations this year on determining the sex of my 10 Speckled Sussex. I got them from Ideal. Supposed to be pullets, but I know sexing is difficult. I wanted to explain what I am seeing and why I am nearly certain I have 3 Roos. Here is what I see at 1 week old.
    1) In the ones I see as pullets, their bodies are more neatly shaped with smooth lines from shoulder to tail.
    2) Pullets with full wrapping wings to the back. Wings appear to have the longer feathers toward the top when folded. Wing tips go all the way to their tails. When out-stretched the feathers are nearly even.
    3) Pullets are getting tail feathers straight out the back end.
    4) Pullets peep softly and chatter, often in one tone.
    5) Pullets have a dark brown dorsal stripe that starts on the top of the head, is connected down the neck to the back, and either wide, crooked, or even very narrow.
    6) Now for the Roos. I see a stocky body like a football player. Broader at the shoulders of the wing (for lack of a better description..haha).
    7) Wings are much shorter when folded with the longest wing tip appearing at the bottom, which clearly sticks out. They do not extend to the tail. The outermost (shorter) wing feathers are very short. The left wing from side view is in the shape of an "L". When outstretched, the long feathers do not lay even with the upper feathers of the wing. It is very clear! No mistaking it.
    8) No tail feathers. More of a fuzzy rump.
    9) Back of the head is much fuller and fluffier than the pullets.
    10) The dark brown dorsal marking is different. All three Roos (or what I think are Roos) have a brown spot on the top of the head. This spot is disconnected at the neck and starts again down the back.
    11) All three Roos have a distinctive loud chirp, and it is not one tone. It is usually a loud chirp, then chirp-chirp-chirp. One of these boys even stands up tall and arches his neck when he chirps. I do not see pullets doing that.
    12) The combs on the Roos do look slightly bigger, but very hard to tell this early.
    13) Body color on the 3 Roos is generally lighter than all the others (although on this breed I think pullets can be lighter, too).

This is only my second batch of SS babies. I had only 4 pullets last year with other breeds. However last year all 4 looked exactly like the pullets this year, and definitely not like the roos. I'm no expert. But, I will be surprised if I'm wrong. Anyone else have any ideas? I would enjoy any feedback. My biggest characteristic of all has to be those wing feathers, as they are drastically different in how they are placed. If this is a true tell-tale sign, then I will feel quite confident telling the sex of this breed at 1 week old!

Thanks everyone! I hope this is helpful to someone else. This is a beautiful breed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. tcarter

Mar 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. tcarter

Mar 7, 2014
    I uploaded a helpful photo. In this one I hope you can see the wings well. I am calling these two pullets and one roo by the water.

4. tcarter

Mar 7, 2014
    Almost 2 weeks old now and the "pullets" all have tail feathers coming in. The "roosters" (if I am correct) still have a fuzzy rump, but just starting to see tail feathers. Wing tips are still too short to fold to the back of the tail.

5. AmyP716

AmyP716 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Ok so here are some pics of my speckled Sussex, I praying for a hen, but I'm think rooster. What do you guys think? It is 8 weeks old. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    While I am no expert, he has more red in his face than my 5 month girl.

7. AmyP716

AmyP716 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Michigan
    Yeah I really have no one to compare him to. I have the worst luck getting hens. I have a EE the same age and it crowed today. Lol.

8. ChickenNamaste

ChickenNamaste Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Middleburg FL
    I think we all do.. We started with silkies.. All six turned out to be roos. Lol.. I'm sorry you're EE is a roo. I hope the Sussex turns out to be a pullet for ya. I only have my one girl to compare to, and she doesn't have any red or any start to wattles.

9. kkim

kkim New Egg

Dec 5, 2014
    Were your initial observations correct? I have 2 Speckled Sussex chicks purchased as female that are 2 1/2 weeks old now and I noticed from the beginning that one of them displayed very different characteristics from the other. I think of him as a roo because he stands more upright when he walks and is always keeping an eye on what is going on above. He also has shorter wings (less feather growth) than the other and no tail feathers to date giving him a shorter rump fuzzy butt look still. The combs are similar on the two but attitude and feathering is definitely different!

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Amy, that's a cockrel for sure. Sorry! My SS chicks are starting to show differences, and they are seven weeks old Sunday. One of my EE cockrels, about the same age, started to make that strangled first crow today. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by