1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sexing sultan and polish

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kristina, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hi I'm wondering if there is a way to sex the sultans and the white crested polish. I have 2 of each (approximately 2 months old) and don't have a clue as to what they are If anyone could give me advice I would appreciate it! Thanks!

2. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    good luck getting an answer. I have asked about the polish several times and have even posted pictures and get NO responses. If you get an answer I would be amazed and greatful to whoever responds.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    This is what I could find On the polish.

Sexing.
    When chick feathers start to drop between 10 and 12 weeks, new, sharply pointed and shiny male plumage will be noticed on the backs of the males

Again, the legs and feet of males are larger. The plumage method is the most accurate as birds develop at different rates, except for Silkies, where a wait of at least 14 weeks will be necessary in order to determine from comb development which are which

Cant find anything on Sultans!​

4. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Thanks for the answers [​IMG] I'm thinking I have two hens in the polish which is exactly what I wanted [​IMG]

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I read that the polish hens will have a mushroom-ish, rounded head poof when young, whereas the polish roos will have a more angular, slicked back kind of hairdo. Someone on the forum had a similar response when I posed this question about a month ago, so it might have some truth to it!

My two polish chicks could not look more different- one has a completely symmetrical pom-pom for a head that makes it virtually impossible to see her face or eyes (kind of looks like a white hydrangea enveloping her whole skull) and the other one has a punk spikey misshapen mohawk. I think the pom-pom must be the girl and the mohawk is the boy. I'll let you know if/when one crows or lays an egg. They are both six weeks old right now.

Good luck

-MTchick

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Here were my two polish before they got killed by hawks. They were about 3 months old and the male had pointy head feathers and the girl had a puffier round head. The roo grew wattles, the girl didn't.

I don't get large crested birds amymore as they don't see the hawks and hide like the rest.

Edit: here is the pic!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  7. Kristina

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Thanks so much! I was looking at them really closely today and they both have big poofy "do's", that are starting to hang over their eyes. [​IMG]

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have a pair of Sultans. The male has a punky kind of hairdo, and started to develop a very large bright red comb over most of his forehead. The female looks more like an old lady with set hair. Hers is rounded, whereas his is spiky. The male also has much longer tail feathers, and is almost twice the size of the hen.

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    I know to tell early at 7 weeks or possible younger for smooth polish the males will have a different crest that goes to the sides instead of in front if I knew how to post photos I could show you better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by