Sexing Sussex breeds

WyandotteH

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
NSW Australia
Hi we have just started of with Sussex (buff and speckled). Looking for any advice on best way to sex from day olds through to 18 weeks. I have been told comb sexing at around 14 weeks is the most reliable. Appreciate any tips/advice the BYC members have. Thanks

Hi we have just started of with Sussex (buff and speckled). Looking for any advice on best way to sex from day olds through to 18 weeks. I have been told comb sexing at around 14 weeks is the most reliable. Appreciate any tips/advice the BYC members have. Thanks
Anything other than vent sexing at one day old by someone skilled at it is just speculation.
Waiting until the chicks are about 6 weeks old and posting pictures in the What Breed or Gender is This? Forum will yield lots of opinions.
At 15 weeks, you know for sure as the gender specific plumage starts to come in around then.

Read through this, it sounds like what you are looking for.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/secondary-sex-characteristics.48329/

Some chicks of any breed can be fairly easy when pretty young or still a challenge at four months. As a breed Sussex are usually fairly easy but some can be challenging.

I find it is usually easier to say "That one is definitely a boy" than to be sure one is a girl, but some girls are really easy. I usually make my first guess for the hatch at 5 weeks and am usually pretty accurate but I've also had a few at 4 months that I wasn't sure. At five weeks the comb and especially wattles can be a huge clue, especially if it is a boy.

It is part science and part art. You get better with practice but some can be realty challenging. If you do post photos on here for help, wait until they are at least five weeks old. For each chick post two photos, a close-up of the head showing comb and wattles, and a profile shot showing legs, posture, and conformation.

I find, with at least with Light Sussex, the collar feathers are a pretty certain give away, once they start coming in. The males will develop a longer stretch down their backs and the females have a contained and shorter collar. Left is the male and right the female. Probably works with buff too. Not with speckled though.

Attachments

• DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom