**SEXING SUSSEX** lots of pics

alb9202

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Maine
Purchased some so called, "pullets" from someone I did not know. This person claimed they were 4 month old pullets, 2 light brahmas and one speckled sussex pullet. After some research I suspect the 2 lights are actually a brahma and sussex cross? ( pink and yellow legs, beak color is light light a sussex and over all color is completely different than my brahmas purchased from a hatchery) what do you byc-ers think of these genders? I noticed the SS feathers looked mighty shiny today, the cackle feathers bother me :/ I suspect cockerel. Also, notice the tail feather differences in the lights! One is clearly longer than the other so I suspect one is indeed a cockerel. Any gender guesses? I forgot to mention they are still peeping! I suspect they are about 2 months old NOT 4...

Even the lights with different tail feathers? The shine of the feathers in the SS appear in the photo. I have never owned a sussex and am new to this. I am praying you are right wyandottes7

I don't see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers, and comb development is normal for a 4-month old female chicken. So, I'd say all of your birds are pullets.

I think you are right in that the SS does not look like 4 months old. I'd be putting the age at around 2 1/2 months. At 4 months, my SS had way more speckles and was more filled out than your bird.
I'm going to disagree and say your SS is a roo.

As for the LS/LB crosses, both look like pullets at this stage.

I think you are right in that the SS does not look like 4 months old. I'd be putting the age at around 2 1/2 months. At 4 months, my SS had way more speckles and was more filled out than your bird.

Yes, if your SS is younger than 4 months (which it certainly appears to be), I change my answer to cockerel.

X2.

I think you're right in that the ss is a younger cockerel.

I'm thinking the brahmas are also younger, and I think they may just be hatchery brahmas. If they were crossed with a straight combed breed, I'd think the comb would look different. Brahmas are slow to mature, so sexing is often hard until later. Close shots of the comb might help.

Back
Top Bottom