Sexing The EEs... HELP!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DKPoultry, May 20, 2010.

1. DKPoultry

DKPoultry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Okay, so I am very brand new to the whole chickens thing and am having a terrible time sexing the pea combs. I have single combs and rose combs down (mostly because I have at least one of each sex and can tell the difference) but I only have 3 easter eggers and I am not sure which is what or if they are all the same. They are 6 weeks old in these photos. Mostly I am just not sure if there would be wattle developement at this age with pea combs or not. Any help would be much appreciated. I numbered them for identification purposes [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    #3 looks like pullet to me. The combs are pretty pink on 1 and 2 but they are also a vast contrast with the white color so I have no idea. Tail feathers on 1 seems "pulletish".. Sorry, discussing my thoughts here.

My guess?

1 = pullet (?)
    2 = gunna say pullet (but interested to see others [​IMG] )
    3 = I am like 99% sure pullet

lol sorry I am new too, but thought I would throw my guess in.

3. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I would also vote for "pullet" on all 3.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    White ones are tricky. But I think #2 is a rooster.

5. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I'll guess that #2 is a roo and the others are pullets. I have an EE youngster that looks like #2 and is developing long curly tail feathers. His/her personality is different too, and today I saw him/her sparring with one of my two Turken teenagers that I also suspect is a roo. Numbers 1 and 3 definitely look like girls to me, but what are #2's tail feathers looking like in comparison to theirs'?

6. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I have an EE that is white like they are, turned out to be a roo. He just crowed for the first time last week (9 wks). I'll look back thru my pictures to see how red his comb was at 6 weeks.

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    As a fellow newbie I am with you on the pea combs! My little australorps are so easy to gender identify but the EE`s I find a challenge. Thank goodness for BYC advice.

8. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    well going off the pics you have I have to vote 1 and 3 being pullets and 2 is probably a roo. He seems a bit larger than the other 2 as well. hmmm yeah thats my thought, 1 and 3 are hens and 2 is a roo

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think #1 is the only pullet.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    are ALL the combs as red as they look in the pics? At six weeks a pullet shouldn't have a red comb [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by