1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sexing "the jerk"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superchemicalgirl, Jun 23, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This chickens name is Jerk. As an adolescent Jerk enjoyed biting me very hard (my pinky was a favorite). Still does bite, but not as much, mainly because I've learned to stay away. Jerk is supposed to be a barred rock but something went horribly wrong in that department. Jerk was also hatchery sexed as a female, which I'm starting to think also went horribly wrong. The redness in the face isn't as apparent in the pictures as it is in real life, much more red than most of the other chickens. Please help sex Jerk. Thank you.

Edited to add Jerk is 9.5 weeks old today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Hmmm...... I'm new to this, but Jerk pretty much looks like my BR did at 9.5 weeks in terms of her comb, and my BR has always been very red in the face. The barred pattern is totally different, though, as well as her temperment. Mine is a bit demanding but never agressive - she has now started jumping onto our laps to be pet. Sorry about Jerk. Very unfortunate.

3. ncgrad00

ncgrad00 In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Salem
    I think its a hen but I am new to this too!

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I'm not sure but I'd say hen...

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The feathers and body are looking like a pullet to me, but boy that comb and those wattles can sure throw you off! I'm not seeing any saddle or hackle feathers though so I'm pretty sure it's a pullet. [​IMG]

6. Mommi3130

Mommi3130 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Michigan
    I would have to say pullet also.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Songster

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    The dark body and lack of saddle feathers - pullet. Mine are pretty red-faced too.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    So when do saddle and hackle feathers start to come in for a rooster?

I have a buff laced polish rooster that doesn't (that I can tell) have any saddle or hackle feathers, and he's the same age. Interestingly his comb and wattles are less red than the Jerks, although his wattle hangs down more than the Jerks.

This chicken sexing business is hard! I've been suspicious of many of my hatchery sexed girls at one point or another in the last 9.5 weeks. Now there are only a few left on my roodar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by