Sexing theories for Barred/Plymouth Rocks 7 weeks (Pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KnightNic, Oct 4, 2011.

1. KnightNic

KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    First of all, I apologise for the awful quality of pics but hopefully they give an idea of what I'm talking about...

My 2 Plymouth Rock babies are growing quickly and I am wondering what theories I should listen to re: their sex.

They have a very distinct 'shadow' on the front of their legs. The legs are pink-ish yellow and have a vivid grey/black 'stain' on the front face.
    A blurry pic to kind of show it. Their toes have patches of the pink-ish colour to compare the front and back colouring:
    [​IMG]

They are a black-grey colour, I'm unsure how 'grey' they need to be before indicating rooster. I'd call them more black than grey but unsure on this trait.

No apparent white blotch on their heads, mostly black with a few tiny white flecks which is similar to their feather pattern.

Their combs are a bit pink in colour but MUCH smaller than the other breeds I have that hatched on the same day. I know each breed is different but the above pic (with the Light Sussex) shows how much smaller.

Some more comb pics (sorry for the fuzzy quality):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other thing that is confusing me is the behaviour...they're really quite wimpy. The other 3 age-mates I have (2 light sussex and one buff) that I am certain are roos are totally different in behaviour. They fight and jump on each other and bite (me and each other), they try to escape constantly and have been named after rugby players for their zippy running skills.

These 2 PR's just sit there and run as if they're a bit scared (not just to be evil like the others) so I assume that is pullet behaviour? They also cry tragically if seperated from the other chicks.

Any help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    pullets....

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No apparent white blotch on their heads, mostly black with a few tiny white flecks which is similar to their feather pattern.

The head spot is long gone by this age. That is only on newly hatched chicks up to a couple of weeks old, then it disappears. Behavior is about the same with males and females at this age so you can't really go by that. They all spar with each other. The light on your pics is too dark to see the overall plumage color on these youngsters. You must have them in good lighting to tell male from female plumage. I don't see anything that looks overtly male right now on these, but as I said, your lighting is too dim to be sure. I hesitate to call it without well-lit (natural, not flash, light) pics. Been raising BRs for years now and mostly, it's easy to call, but sometimes they can fool you, since sexing rules are not 100% accurate.​

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    those are little girls.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG]

here is a pic of my BR roos from last year...the same age. Hope this helps a little

6. KnightNic

KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks everyone!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by