sexing theory.....and ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JEB NC 10, Jul 7, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    So I think I heard this....female chicks feather out faster than males...can anyone speak to this and offer some advice?

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Well, there was a post here somewhere that showed pix of chicks at 2 or 3 days old. The girls had tiny feathers, but on the boys it looked more like dandylion fluff. You might search "feather sexing" and see if it comes up.

We printed the pix and used them to sex our babies this January - and we were 10 for 10! Everyone grew up to be what we sexed them as on day 3. These were polish and one crevacour chix.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It was not the case for my chicks -- the surprise cockerel feathered out at the same pace as the pullets and he was the same size. The first visual difference was that his comb started to change at 3 weeks.

I've heard (on BYC) that pullets feather faster but I haven't seen this in any of the chicken books I've read [​IMG]

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Feather sexing really only works on a breed or bloodline of chicken that has been selectively bred for this trait. It isn't all that accurate otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by