1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sexing these 4-Week Old Chix

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New Flockman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. New Flockman

New Flockman In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    Here are our now just over one month old chicks. One is an Australorpe/Buff Orpington mix (we call it Chick1 currently)and the other is Australorpe/Barred Rock (Chick2). We are reasonably certain Chick2 the Aus/Barred mix. Chick 2 is noticably smaller than Chick1. Neither had white on their heads after hatching and, If I read the Sex-Link infor here correctly, Chaick1 would be a Sex-Link. They are both getting combs now and feathering , though Chick2 is behind in that area. No sign of wattles. Maybe it's to early to tell, but it looks like we have hens. Well, I'm on record now and if will be easy to twist the knife later. Any other educated or WAGs?

[​IMG]
    Chick1 closeup.

[​IMG]
    Chick2 Closeup

[​IMG]
    Chick2 whole.Taking a bit longer to feather out.

[​IMG]
    Chick1 whole. Look at that breast and the size of it's feet!

2. LTygress

LTygress Songster

Sep 12, 2012
    I really actually want to say chick 1 is a roo. The comb right behind his nose is MUCH wider and sticks up further right where the beak meets the forehead, than the other one. Usually roos need that wide base to their comb, because their combs get so big.

3. New Flockman

Dec 8, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    It's Que Sera Sera for us but we are hoping for two hens. Not sure in a flock of five or six hens there's room for two roos... which leads to a couple of unfortunate choices. But, a broody hen who has turned out to be a great momma has been a very personally rewarding experience and a total joy to watch.

4. angel8035

angel8035 Songster

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Right now they both look female. If either was to be a male, I'd say chick 2 because of the scraggly looking feathers and stance. But it seems they would have more comb development if they were boys. Keep your fingers crossed and wait a few more weeks.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I say both females, but it's early days yet.

If the barred rock was the momma, you're correct in that the chick is a sex link female. Thinking about it, it must be, cause if the barred rock was the male, the chick would be barred, either gender!

6. whittychick

whittychick Songster

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I have 2 barred rock chicks that look just like that! So mine better be hens!!! No more roosters!!!!! [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Uh, neither of those chicks look like a barred rock chick. So, if your chicks look like these, they're not barred rocks. You might want to take pics and start a new thread.....

8. New Flockman

Dec 8, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    No barred rock males in our flock. There are three choices of hen lineage, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red. We are pretty certain the two eggs we put under Bea were BR and we are pretty sure that one of the BR eggs was not fertile. But, just like the gender, we'll see more as they grow. It's fun to speculate and fun to watch the changes. Chick2 is starting to catch up a bit

Whitty: Yeah, If I had chicks from two BR parents that looked like mine, I'd be looking for a phantom casanova that had his way with your hens ( : < ). Maybe our roo, Max, has been moonlighting!

BTW, does the size of the egg have any bearing on the size of the chick? Perhaps coincidentally, the larger chick came from the larger egg. If our guess about parentage are correct, it also comes from two larger breed chickens so who knows.

Appreciate all the educated guesses here.

9. whittychick

whittychick Songster

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    just meant the beak and head!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by