sexing this questionable Wellsummer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AHappychick, Apr 24, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have 4 wellsummers at first I thought all were pullets but one is questionable is this a cockerel? I thought the comb would be redder by this age but it is getting a little pinker than the others and starting to get little wattles but it is almost 3 months and I would think they would be more defined by now. I am hoping to sell the 3 as a trio but need to make sure it is a trio lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is "it" with a pullet

[​IMG]

some wattle pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are 2 pullets for comparison

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Im sorry, im not really sure.....

but just going by the wattles, and the pink-ness of the comb compared to the others, i would say its a boy....

But then again, i cant see any saddle feathers comming in though? And i also dont know much about Welsummers.

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    [​IMG]

I just hatched 6 last week so I am going to watch to find out!

4. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I read somewhere a couple days ago, that welsummers can be sexed by color...Lemme see if I can find where I read it

Not the same web page I read it from but found it here also...http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer.html

The paragraph is ....Although Whitmore Farm only sells straight run chicks, Welsummers can be sexed at birth. The female has what I like to call "eye liner" the dark line extending beyond her eye towards her ear is dark and very well defined. On the male, that same line is light and blurry. Similarly, if you look at the triangle on the top of their head, on the female it is dark and clearly defined, the male's triangle is lighter and the edges are not clearly defined. In both of the chick photos, the female is on the left, and the male is on the right. If you plan on doing your own breeding, it is highly advisable you grow out all the cockerels and select the best two to keep as breeders. The male if very important and under ideal conditions, should not be judged until one year of age.

Probably too late to tell now, but maybe you have some earlier pics to reference.

Bluemoon

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've only had a few Welsummers, but yours looks like a pullet to me.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am really confused on this one for sure, they are from AussieSharon gonna have to go find her lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by