Sexing Tractor Supply Cuckoo Marans

PerturbedPanther

Chirping
Aug 26, 2022
Wantage, NJ
I got some mystery chicks from TSC that ended up being Cuckoo Marans. They are not quite 3 months old. Everyone says lighter colored Marans are usually male, but their combs are still very small.

Attachments

• 20221124_122917.jpg
    20221124_122917.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221124_122753.jpg
    20221124_122753.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221124_122700.jpg
    20221124_122700.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221124_122652.jpg
    20221124_122652.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221124_122646.jpg
    20221124_122646.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221124_122610.jpg
    20221124_122610.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 24
So they're about 12-14 weeks?

At this age I'd expect to see larger combs on male Marans and some male-specific pointed saddle feathers coming in.

That said, the one with the brown on the neck is pretty red for a pullet that age. Also, I wouldn't expect any brown on a proper Cuckoo Marans -- maybe an Olive Egger male that's single-barred instead of double-barred?

Also, I wouldn't expect any brown on a proper Cuckoo Marans -- maybe an Olive Egger male that's single-barred instead of double-barred?
They're not Marans. Type and skin color are wrong. They appear to be some type of mix for meat production. Perhaps a Rainbow or a type of ranger :)
I know they're not real Marans, they're Tractor Supply Marans. Most of Hoover Hatchery's chickens are mutts that are bred to resemble what they're being advertised as. Aren't true Marans supposed to have feathered feet?
They are definately mixed with some kind of meat bird though; they are thick.

I know they're not real Marans, they're Tractor Supply Marans. Most of Hoover Hatchery's chickens are mutts that are bred to resemble what they're being advertised as. Aren't true Marans supposed to have feathered feet?
They are definately mixed with some kind of meat bird though; they are thick.
They're not even Hoover's Marans. They're entirely different mixes :)

Does anyone have pictures of Royal Grey Broilers, especially as chicks? For some reason I can't find any and Hoover's website only has a picture of the red chicks. I assumed they were Marans because they looked like Maran/Barred Rock chicks when I got them and even as they got older I couldn't find pictures of anything else that looked remotely similar.

Now that we know what they are, does anyone want to guess pullet/cockerals? While I am personally interested in learning more about identifying chickens, I unfortunately live in Hicksville; no one cares what they are as long as they can be used for meat or pop out eggs.

Broilers, like any meat bird, are typically bred to grow quickly. So surely it should be obvious by now if any were male?

Does anyone have pictures of Royal Grey Broilers, especially as chicks? For some reason I can't find any and Hoover's website only has a picture of the red chicks. I assumed they were Marans because they looked like Maran/Barred Rock chicks when I got them and even as they got older I couldn't find pictures of anything else that looked remotely similar.

Now that we know what they are, does anyone want to guess pullet/cockerals? While I am personally interested in learning more about identifying chickens, I unfortunately live in Hicksville; no one cares what they are as long as they can be used for meat or pop out eggs.

Broilers, like any meat bird, are typically bred to grow quickly. So surely it should be obvious by now if any were male?
They're pullets. This is the only pic I could find.
Royal Grey Broiler Chick 1.png

As for learning to identify chickens, there is no better place than here. Hangout in the breed and gender forum and read as much as you can. Study the birds and the answers given. Jump in and guess. Learn from others when they are kind enough to explain. Most of all - have fun!

Back
Top Bottom